Caldwell Parish was authorized in an act of legislature which was signed by Governor E. D. White on March 6, 1838, and was land taken from Ouachita and Catahoula Parishes, with Ouachita furnishing the major portion. The Ouachita River meandered through the new parish near its center, with alluvial lands on its east banks and hill lands on the west.
The new parish was divided into five wards on March 30, 1838 at a meeting of Justices of the Peace James Gray, Jacob Humble, Fleming Noble, Thomas Rutland and James Woolridge, with the assistance of newly appointed Judge William P. Snow. John Ewing, James Gray and James Woolridge met with Judge Snow on the following May 22nd as the new Police Jury. Columbia was named the parish seat, although settlement of Copenhagen was given consideration. To learn more about Caldwell parish click here.
A government that is accountable, efficient, and effective is vital to the people of Louisiana. As one of the Legislature’s most objective resources, the Louisiana Legislative Auditor provides independent assessment and proactive guidance, resulting in accurate reporting of the fiscal condition and performance of government and the sources and uses of its financial resources. Read more here.
This office will be closed in observance of Memorial Day.